This year we’ve joined a popular seed swapping scheme to share growing experiences with complete strangers. ‘Seedy Penpals’ is run by Carl Legge and works something like this…
1. Swappers submit their details to Carl who matches everyone to two seedy penpals.
2. One of these penpals will receive seeds from you, the other will send seeds to you.
3. You get in touch with your penpals, discuss requirements, then despatch and receive seeds.
Having followed these simple rules we have sent a package of some of our favourite crops to Suzy (@SuzyintheGarden) in Milton Keynes and yesterday we received a carefully selected seed bounty from Hayley (
@fleurmania) in Pershore. Here’s the list of new-to-us seeds we’ll soon be sowing…
• Asparagus pea
• Mooli radish
• Agastache ‘licorice white’
• Kailan kichi (Chinese broccoli)
• Shungiku (Chopsuey greens)
• Mixed cornflower (edible, according to Hayley)
• Garlic chives
• Wrinkled crinkled cress
A few of these we’ve never heard of but they’ve all been delivered with reassuring instructions and will receive our very best attention so as not to let anyone down.
For more information on Seedy Penpals visit Carl Legge’s website here and check out for updates on twitter with the hashtag #seedpenpals